Hello there, Alpharetta-Milton! I’m here in your inbox per usual to get you caught up on everything you need to know about what’s going on around town.Keep reading for the latest.
First, today’s weather:
A couple of t-storms; humid. High: 85 Low: 70.
Here are the top five stories today in Alpharetta-Milton:
- In July 2021, Travis Moya was attacked by an Alpharetta PD K-9 when police claimed he was resisting arrest after his family called 911 for a mental health check. The charges against Moya were dropped earlier this month, however, he says he is still emotionally and physically scarred by the incident and is suing the Alpharetta Police Department. Moya stated he heard officers give multiple commands for the dog to bite him and Moya’s lawyer insists Moya was not violent and he should not have been charged in the first place. (WSB Atlanta)
- Last week, agencies across Fulton County including members of the DA’s office and the LGBTQ+ community gathered for the second annual LGBTQ+ crime victims vigil. For Fulton County DA, Fani Willis, the hope to create a “safe haven” for LGBTQ+ victims of crime is both a personal and professional mission. At the ceremony, Willis recalled a personal story where a fellow lawyer was murdered for his sexual orientation. “No one should die because of who they are,” said Willis. “That was probably my first lesson as an adult that this is an issue and I’ve never forgotten that lesson.” ( The Atlanta Journal Constitution)
- As of yesterday morning, the telephone and internet services at the Wills Park facilities are down. If you need to get in touch with the staff at Wills Park, email them at [email protected] The Alpharetta Community Center, Wills Park Community Center, and the Wills Park Equestrian Center will be monitoring email until the underground utility lines are fixed. (Press Release Desk )
- The City of Milton is transitioning its website URL. The City of Milton’s website will now be located at www.miltonga.gov. If you attempt to go to the old website, you will simply be redirected to the newest website URL. The transition is a part of a larger “domain migration” taking place throughout the city including a change in email addresses. (Press Release Desk )
- Need some home inspiration? Head to one of several open houses happening this weekend in the Alpharetta-Milton area! Whether you’re just looking or seriously ready to buy, check out these beautiful homes including the times and dates of the open houses at the link. (Alpharetta-Milton Patch)
Today in Alpharetta-Milton:
- Asian Mental Health And Quiet Trauma: North Fulton Mental Health Collaborative – Virtual (10:00 AM)
- Essentrics On The Green – Downtown Alpharetta (6:00 PM)
- North Point Young Adults Field Day – North Point Community Church (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
- The City of Milton is reminding residents to be good neighbors during this 4th of July. Read more about fireworks rules, safety, and tips at the link. (Press Release Desk )
- Go out with a BANG this 4th of July! Head to Wills Park Monday, Jul. 4 from 7-9 pm at Wills Park for a firework display guaranteed to light up your night! See you there! (Awesome Alpharetta, Georgia via Instagram)
- All libraries in the Fulton County Library System will be closed Monday, Jul. 4, 2022, to observe Independence Day. Check out the Digital Library for books, movies, and more.” (Fulton County Library System via Facebook)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Call for Artists for “Hot Summer Nights” Art Show – Cumming Arts Center (June 30)
- Art&Bluegrass @coulterville_ (July 2)
- 3hr Salsa Class Atlanta – Beginner & Beyond Basics July 2nd (July 2)
- 4th of July Weekend Latin Night Atlanta @ Tony’s John’s Creek July 2nd (July 2)
- Breast Ultrasound Screening Coming Direct to You! (July 7)
- Add your event
Gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Thursday off right. See you all tomorrow for another update!
, Sean Peek
About me: Sean Peek is a writer and entrepreneur with a degree in English Literature from Weber State University. Over the years, he has worked as a copywriter, editor, SEO specialist, and marketing director for various digital media companies. He currently co-owns and operates content creation agency Lightning Media Partners.