How To Choose a Twitter Username? Your username is your identity on Twitter, if possible sign up on Twitter using your name or a different variation of it as your username (assuming it has not been taken already). To give you a better idea let’s take an example, if your name is Paul Simon then pick a Twitter name such as @paulsimon or @paul_simon.
Usernames on Twitter appear with an @ sign before the name and that’s how you refer to someone or tag someone. But that does not mean you need to put @ in your name as this is not a part of your name. The only characters that you are allowed to use are lowercase, uppercase, letters, numbers, and underscore _.
If you decide to make your nickname or company’s name or your product name your username then make it accessible and user-friendly. Twitter has a word limit of 140 words so make sure your username is a short one so that when people mention you in their tweets then your name doesn’t take up much space.
How Long Can Usernames And Names Be?
One of the reasons why you are not getting the username you want even though it is available is because no account on Twitter can have admin or Twitter in their username unless they are an official Twitter account.
You can only use under 15 characters in your username although you can keep your name as long as 50 characters or as short as 4 characters. Usernames are kept short for the sake of ease of remembering.
Now let’s get into a little more detail – a username can contain only alphanumeric characters i.e. A-Z, numbers from 0-9. You can use underscore in your username but no symbols, spaces, or dashes are allowed.
Also Read: Ultimate Triberr Marketing Tips
How To Change Your Twitter Username?
If you want to change your username on Twitter then it won’t affect the followers you have, your DMs, or your replies or tags. When you update your username your followers will see a new one next to your profile. We would suggest you notify your followers before you change your name so they know it’s you and can direct reply or DM to your new username.
Before changing your username please be aware that once changed your previous username will be taken by someone else and you will not be able to retrieve it! Here are the steps you need to follow:
- From the navigation bar click on the more button.
- Select settings and privacy
- Go through the list and select your account
- Select account information
- You will be asked to enter your Twitter account password to confirm it’s you
- Under the account information option update your username that is currently listed in the username field. If the username is taken then you will be asked to enter a new one.
- Click on the Save button.
How To Choose A Twitter Username?
One of the important components in your Twitter profile is your username and by that, we mean that which comes after @. A good username helps you promote your brand and business and makes it easy for you to be found on Twitter.
If you want to have a good username then consider the below steps:
#1. Prefer A Relevant Name
Your username should be related to your name or your brand name. This helps people on Twitter find your profile easily as this name will not only be displayed on your profile but also your Twitter URL.
#2. Avoid Using Numbers
If you want to make a genuine profile on Twitter then avoid using numbers in your username as this makes your profile appear as spam. Having a number in your username keeps you at a disadvantage than others because when someone searches your name comes in the lower part of the search list which is not something you would want if you are looking to grow on Twitter.
#3. Early Bird Catches The Worm
This saying stands true when it comes to your username on Twitter. By this, we mean as early as you take a name the better. Don’t delay in taking up a username if you have thought about it because someone else out there will possibly take it.
#.4 Keep It Short
Try keeping your username as short as possible as it makes it easier for your followers to mention you in their tweets. Twitter only allows a word limit of 140 characters so if someone is mentioning you in their tweets your short name can help them add a few more words that they would like to write. Having a short name makes it easier for your followers to remember your name.
#5. Be Unique
Having a unique name makes your profile stand out from the crowd, the more unique your name is the easier it is to search it. Choose a name that is easy to remember.
How To Use A Username Generator For Twitter Handles?
Here we have curated a list of top username generators for creating fool-proof usernames that can secure your place on Twitter. Keep in mind the number of characters should be between 4-15, with that said let’s move on to our list:
- Nordpass has various options that allow you to hide your identity and create an identity that has your personality. It has different categories to choose from like animals, space, foods, etc.
- LastPass is a simple tool to create a random username for your Twitter profile. It lets you create easy-to-read names for your Twitter account.
- Masterpiece Generator suggests your usernames based on the basic inputs that it takes from you such as your date of birth, things you like, animals you like, etc.
- Business Name Generator creates a username for your brand and business such that the name is brandable and communicates your brand values. The tool uses industry-based filters to figure out names that are most suitable for you.
- SpinXO is a generator that helps you create perfect usernames for your profile. It takes in some answers from you and gives you a list of names from which you can choose your username.
We hope to have solved your queries regarding Twitter usernames. There are many tools that you can use to generate a username for your profile, most of them free while some charge fees. There are methods that you can use to choose a good username that has been explained above. If you have any problem that is still not solved then you can leave that in the comment section to which our team will reply.