Hello, hello; today is National Kitten Day, which is the brainchild of author Colleen Paige. It’s me, Sylvia, your host of the Los Angeles Daily — here to impart all the most important things happening locally. Enjoy…
It appears that road rage led to a bear spray attack. Also, a motor home caught on fire, Finally, the mayor signed the Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance into law.
First, today’s weather:
Plenty of sunshine. High: 85 Low: 63.
FYI: To locate a cooling center in Los Angeles, call 3-1-1, reach out to the Los Angeles Public Library Public Information Office at (213) 228-7555, or find your nearest location and its hours on the current list of county facilities .
Three Of The Cheapest Gas Stations In Los Angeles
- Valero at 500 S Alameda St.$5.49
- Berry Brothers at 3860 E 3rd St.$5.77
- American Gas at 1404 W Martin Luther King Jr Blvd.$5.77
Water Crisis Poll!
Residents are limited to watering their landscapes two days per week, before 9 am or after 4 pm What else should the City do to deal with the water crisis? Please let me know your thoughts! So far, 21.1% want to mandate drought-resistant landscaping, 19.7% want to recycle wastewater for irrigation, another 40.8% want to build a desalination plant at the coast, and 18.4% don’t believe residential water use contributes to the water crisis.
Here are the top stories in Los Angeles today:
- Who is the Toyota Matrix driver who attacked another motorist on Wednesday with bear spray, The incident happened “in broad daylight at Day Street and Pali Avenue in Tujunga.” It appears that this was a road rage incident between strangers. The victim “says he pulled over to apologize, but the man, who had boxed him in with his Toyota, threatened to ‘kill him’ before spraying.” (NBC)
- There was a motor home fire “in the 1400 block of North Figueroa Street” on Friday. Firefighters quickly extinguished the flames and prevented the spread of the blaze to nearby brush. In the process, they found “illicit wiring from a nearby utility pole.” (Los Angeles Fire Department)
- On Friday, Mayor Eric Garcetti signed the Hotel Worker Protection Ordinance into law, It “provides for security measures to protect hotel workers from sexual assault and threatening conduct, and fair compensation through a wage premium for heavy workloads in hotels with over 45 guest rooms. (LA Mayor)
- Being a street vendor is a dangerous job. As of Friday, South LA is the area with the most street vendor robberies, Overall, the LAPD noted “a 20% increase in food/street vendor robberies.” (Fox)
- Mark your calendars! The Original Farmers Market at 6333 West Third Street is celebrating its 88th anniversary, Organizers have planned a three-day party that includes “special drawings for Market gift certificates, 80s music, food pop-ups, special merchandise and themed crafts for the little ones.” The party starts Thursday at 10 am (Patch)
Help us make this newsletter better!
We’ve been getting so much positive feedback about the Los Angeles Daily that we’re starting to get a big head. Want to bring us back down to earth with some constructive feedback? If so, take our simple — and quick! — reader survey, Your feedback will help us make sure we’re covering the kind of local news, events and scuttlebutt you really care about. And it will help us toward our goal of being an indispensable local resource and the last email you’d ever unsubscribe from.
We’d be so appreciative of your feedback that, if you take the survey, we’ll enter your email address in a drawing for a small mountain of Patch swag, You know you want that tote bag — so click the link and give it to us straight. Thank you!
Take the Survey
Today in Los Angeles:
- CicLAvia on (9 AM)
- Santa Paula Cars & Coffee (10 AM)
- Book Sale at the West Los Angeles Regional Branch Library (11 AM)
- Jazz at St. Andrews Community Music Festival (11 AM)
- Flamenco Arabe at The Electric Lodge (3 PM)
From my notebook:
- Get ready for the return of one of LA’s most legendary eateries: Tail o’ the Pup! On National Hot Dog Day—July 20th—the programmatic icon will return to West Hollywood after sitting in storage since closing up shop in 2005. (Los Angeles Conservancy via Facebook)
- The Los Angeles Unified unveiled its 2022-26 Strategic Plan, Read and download the Plan. (Los Angeles Unified via Instagram)
- The Los Angeles Fire Department stayed busy early July 8, 2022, responding to 455 emergencies citywide between dusk and dawn. (Los Angeles Fire Department via Facebook)
- Our Little Holmby-Westwood neighbor has a gas leak. Does anyone have a recommendation for a plumber who specifically has skill with gas lines? (Nextdoor)
- Dialog with a Deputy is on July 21st! Everyone from West Hollywood is invited to come join!! If you cannot make it and have a question or comment, please let us know. (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Divorce Boot Camp – Vesta Beverly Hills/South Bay, CA Hub (July 13)
- Estate Planning for Your Loved Ones – Webinar (July 13)
- [Free Masterclass] Increase Your Website Sales & Leads Using SEO (July 16)
- 7th Garagiste Urban Exposure Wine Festival (July 23)
- Add your event
Alrighty, you’re all caught up for today. See you all Tuesday morning for another update!
, Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at [email protected]